Thursday, July 17, 2008

a moment of clarity

i had a breakthrough this morning. i was reading a bit of my friend lauren's blog. she was talking about love and babies. this is the comment i left on her blog. this is maybe the most clarity i have ever had on the subject.

"i think one of the best things about the love you have for your new baby is the unexpected connection with the old love you have for family members. there is this new person who has bits and pieces of your loved ones. sometimes you see your cousin in an expression, then your great uncle, then your second cousin, in just seconds. most of the time my baby looks like my dad. it is like i can go back in time and hug my father as a baby. if that makes any sense. when jack laughs he sounds like my great aunt. and to me, that is like magic. or the best kind of ghost."

No comments: